Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Are my items Returnable or Exchangeable?

We do allow returns on all standard lampshades and most custom shades as well. Some shades that are highly customized may not be eligible for a return. If you would like to know if the shade you are planning on ordering can be returned, simply send us the details and we will let you know.

Prepaid return label(s) will be provided if you place another order with us. If you just wish to return a shade without placing another order with us, the return shipping will be your responsibility.

How do I determine the correct Attachment Type?

A Washer fitter (also know as a Spider) is the most common fitter. Most large shades have washer fitters. If your lamp has a harp, then you will need a washer fitter. The harp consists of 2 metal posts (known as a HARP) connected to the base of the light socket. These posts run next to the bulb up through the washer fitter atop the bulb and is fastened by a finial which screws on to the top. Some washers are slotted, which means they have a cut-out slot which slips over the electrical cord of your lamp. This is common for lighting suspended from a ceiling electrical cable. The inner-dimension of a washer fitter measures 1/2".

Another variation on the Washer fitter is the Reflector Bend fitter. If your lamp shade rests upon a glass bowl with an 8" diameter, then you most likely require a Washer Fitter with a Reflector Bend. A Reflector Bend is nothing more than spoke wires with a small teepee bend on each spoke. This will prevent your shade from slipping off the glass bowl. If you require the reflector bend, please be sure to note that information in the comments section when placing your order. Your shade may not arrive with this option if it is not requested. Also, if your glass bowl does not measure 8" in diameter, please contact us, as our standard reflector bend may not work correctly with your bowl.

A Flame Clip fitter is most commonly used on standard flame-style bulbs found on chandelier fixtures. The shade clips directly on to the bulb. "Standard" drop for a Flame Clip fitter is ½". For custom shades with a 3" top, we will use a Flame Clip rather than a Bulb Clip unless you specify otherwise.

A Bulb Clip fitter clips directly on a standard light bulb. This is common for desktop lamps and smaller-sized shades. If the shade is large or heavy, consider a different fitter, because the bulb must carry the entire weight of a bulb clip shade. "Standard" drop for a Bulb Clip fitter is ½". For top rings measuring 4" or more, we will use a Bulb Clip rather than a Flame Clip unless you specify otherwise.

An Uno fitter sits atop the light socket, and then the bulb is screwed into the socket, holding the shade in place. This is a typical fitter on some desk lamps and floor lamps. Some floor lamps require "THREADED" uno fitters. If your shade requires an uno fitter which screws on to the base of your floor lamp socket, make sure to specify that you need a THREADED uno. The inner dimension of an uno fitter is 1 1/4".

A European fitter is similar to an Uno fitter, except the inner dimension of the ring measures 1 9/16". The European fitter generally resembles a large, flat washer, with the thickness of a penny. The European fitter slips on to the socket, and then a plastic or metal cap gets screwed on to hold the fitter in place. The European-style fitting is becoming more and more popular. Imported lamps, and lamps purchased from IKEA or Pottery Barn almost always require European fitters. Sometimes, this fitting is also known as an E26, E27 or Nord fitting. Check the inner diameter. If it's 1 9/16", order this fitter.

A Slotted Washer fitter is similar to a regular washer, except they have a cut-out slot which slips over the electrical cord of your lamp. This is common for pendant lighting suspended from a ceiling electrical cable. The inner-dimension of a slotted washer fitter measures 1/2".

A Chimney fitter, also referred to as a hurricane fitter is not very common anymore, but is necessary if you have a lamp requiring a chimney. Generally, antique lamps--especially oil lamps (hurricane lamps) require the chimney fitter. The chimney fits directly over the glass opening at the top of these kinds of lamps. The inner diameter of a standard chimney fitter is 2 3/8".

What is a Bottom Diffuser?

On some lamp shades--generally on pendant lamp shades--our customers request a bottom diffuser. The purpose of the bottom diffuser is to "hide" the socket and light bulb of the fixture and also to diffuse the light when viewed from below. A bottom diffuser is often the same or slightly smaller in size than the bottom dimension of your lamp shade. Our diffusers are made of 1/8" milky-white acrylic. They are typically 1"-2" in diameter SMALLER than the bottom ring, allowing a slight amount of light to escape on the edge. If you require a specific size for your diffuers other than 1" - 2" smaller than the bottom diameter, simply specify your request in the comment section of your order.

How Accurate are the Measurements?

Each shade is hand crafted to your specification. In most cases, dimensions are specified in one-half inch increments. Thickness of fabrics, trims, tapes and glues will cause variations in the size of your shade. Our Quality Control process allows up to one-quarter inch variation in measurements. In other words, if you specify a shade with a 10 inch height, the range may be anywhere between 9.75 inches and 10.25 inches.

How can I become a Wholesaler or Reseller for

If you would like to set up a trades account, simply create an account here : New Customers

Once you have created an account, send us an email at [email protected]

COM - How much Fabric should I send?

To calculate yards of fabric needed for round shades and drum shades:

  • Multiply the bottom diameter of the shade by 0.1

Example: If your shade measurements are 9 x 15 x 11 inches (9" top diameter, 15" bottom diameter, 11" slant height), calculate as follows:

  • 15 x 0.1 = 1.5 yards per shade

To calculate yardage needed for square shades and rectangle shades:

  • Add all four bottom dimensions together
  • Add 4 and then divide by 36

Example: if your shade measurements are 5 x 10 (Top Dimension), 10 x 12 (Bottom Dimension), 10 inches (Height), calculate as follows:

  • 10 + 12 + 10 + 12 + 4 = 44 inches
  • 44 divided by 36 = 1.22 yards per shade

Note: We recommend sending twice the amount of fabric needed to complete your order. This allows us to have enough fabric if something goes wrong during the manufacturing process. This would also allow us to re-make your shade(s) quickly if your order gets damaged during shipping. If you choose not to send twice the amount of fabric needed, Fenchel Shades will not be responsible for purchasing additional fabric if either of these things happen.

If you need help with these calculations, please feel free to contact customer care at 715.246.2233 or [email protected]

COM - Where do I send my Fabric?

Fenchel Shades

Attn: (your order number)

155 West 3rd Street New Richmond, WI 54017

Note: If there is left-over fabric after your shade is made, it will be stored here for 30 days and then thrown out. If you would like your left-over fabric returned to you, you will need to let us know. You can choose to either have your left-over fabric sent with your shade(s) or we can send the left-over fabric after you receive your shade(s). There would be an additional shipping charge if you choose to have your left-over fabric sent to you after you receive your shade(s).

COM - How will my COM shade be constructed?

Before construction, your fabric will be inspected for flaws and ironed if needed. Any questions on placement of the pattern are addressed at this time. The fabric is then laminated to white styrene.

COM shades will arrive with a rolled edge finish unless trim is supplied along with the fabric then we will apply your trim around the top and bottom edge of the shade(s).

We do not have the ability to make trim from your fabric, but you are welcome to send ready made trim. For example; ribbon, gimp or bias fold tape.